Designed to maintain the historic integrity and meet modern senior housing needs, this historic renovation required great attention to detail in making sure all accessibility requirements were met. Located in Wausau, Wisconsin, this four story affordable housing development includes 103 senior apartments.
Originally constructed in 1924 as D.L. Plumer Hospital (name later changed to Wausau Memorial Hospital), with later additions in 1929, 1948, 1960, and 1964. In 1979-80, the existing building was converted into 78 senior apartments along with a new 25-unit addition.
Renovations included replacing the roof, windows and doors, remodeling kitchens and bathrooms to meet accessibility standards, and outside improvements such as resurfacing the parking lot and improving the landscaping.